xeno riddle

  • Kermit Rose
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 13, 2009
      Xeno Riddle

      An anthropologist and a mathematician strolled through the forest.
      Suddenly they came upon an extratresterial camp. The two
      extratresterials, equally startled, dropped everything,
      jumped into their nearby spacecraft, and disappeared amid a clap
      of thunder.

      The anthropologist rushed over to see what tools they had dropped.
      He found two artifacts. One appeared to be merely a metal ball.

      The other artifact appeared to be made of extremely durable
      plastic. Otherwise it resembled an ordinary sheet of paper.
      It had the following symbols embedded within it.

      [.[].]
      [.[]..[.[].].]
      [.[.[].]..[.[].].]
      [.[]..[.[].[.[].].].]
      [.[.[].]..[.[]..[.[].].].]
      [.[]..[]..[.[].].]
      [.[.[].]..[]..[.[].].]
      [.[.[]..[.[].].]..[.[].].]

      The mathematician, studying the symbols,
      exclaimed, "How could they have built such
      an advanced technology using such clumsy arithmetical
      notation?"

      What do the symbols on the paper represent?
    • marku606
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 14, 2009
        That mathematician is good. All I can see is that the pattern in the first is repeated somewhere in each of the succeeding eight patterns. And, the 1st, 3rd and 7th are symmetrical. And it's a good exercise in closing brackets. And they all start with [.[ and end with ].]

        But wait! I sense it has something to do with primes....must be my human-alien hybrid brain starting to kick in...