RE: Pete's comment

  • Bill Bouris
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 19, 2009
      Peter presented an incorrect 11-page proof to me via e-mail on 1 or 2
      separate occasions.  I noticed an error in his definition and the real
      proof came out to be less than 1 page (I spent 3 days condensing it).

      Rather than wait for the American Journal of Mathematics to discover his mistake in a 16-18-month waiting period, I sent in the proof with the
      corrected definition along with my very short version to the American
      Mathematical Society; I promised him that I would find someone to verify
      it.; they said they'd get back to me in 3-4 days.

      It really doesn't matter who gets the reward for proving it, so I listed
      him as the originator of the proof and myself as someone who corrected his
      paper's original definition with a reduced general case.

      It didn't follow his arguments except for the simplest case.  I didn't
      do it to tick him off... I just wanted to take a good idea and make it
      better.  Now, he's got his panties in a bunch over the fact that I'm
      trying to take credit for the entire proof; he didn't even send in any
      proof like I had advised him, until I told him that I e-mailed in the
      corrected version to AMS.

      I just want to know that we both took part in a nice, neat proof, and that
      someone is satisfied with the results... it was a collaboration.
      Bill