Re: [PrimeNumbers] Re: Repunit Project

  • Bernardo Boncompagni
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 4, 2009
      djbroadhurst dice:

      > I am interested in the difference between
      > the "componenti" and the "appassionati" at
      > http://www.gruppoeratostene.com/ <http://www.gruppoeratostene.com/>
      >
      > To my ear, the "appassionati" sound as if they are much
      > more passionate about their work than the "componenti".

      I am a native Italian speaker, and in this context I would translate
      "componenti" as "members" and "appassionati" as "friends". In the
      "componenti" page this is made clearer calling the "appassionati"
      "collaboratori esterni", which means "external partners".

      However, in Italian "appassionato" (singular form of "appassionati")
      means indeed a person which has a passion for something. OTOH
      "Componenti", which strictly means "members" has of course nothing to do
      with passion.

      Last, "amateur" translates in Italian as "dilettante", opposed to
      "professionista" ("professional") but "dilettante" has a much stronger
      pejorative meaning than the English "amateur". In fact, it is usually
      used about a professional who is not able to do her or his job :)

      Bernardo Boncompagni

      "When the missionaries arrived, the Africans had
      the land and the missionaries had the bible.
      They taught how to pray with our eyes closed.
      When we opened them, they had the land and we
      had the bible"
      Jomo Kenyatta

      VisualTaxa - Taxonomy in a visual way
      http://visualtaxa.redgolpe.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 4, 2009
        --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com,
        Bernardo Boncompagni <RedGolpe@...> wrote:

        > However, in Italian "appassionato" (singular form of "appassionati")
        > means indeed a person which has a passion for something. OTOH
        > "Componenti", which strictly means "members" has of course
        > nothing to do with passion.

        Off-list, Giovanni told me that in his case the "componenti"
        are "appassionati" who also pay the cost of the site.

        > Last, "amateur" translates in Italian as "dilettante", opposed
        > to "professionista" ("professional") but "dilettante" has a much
        > stronger pejorative meaning than the English "amateur".
        > In fact, it is usually used about a professional who is not
        > able to do her or his job :)

        The word "amateur" is often used pejoratively in English.
        I am fighting a losing battle to have it restored to its
        true meaning.

        David (amateur of number theory)