Re: Repunit Project

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 4, 2009
      --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com,
      "Di Maria Giovanni" <calimero22@...> wrote:

      > http://www.gruppoeratostene.com/ric-repunit/repunit.htm

      I am interested in the difference between
      the "componenti" and the "appassionati" at
      http://www.gruppoeratostene.com/

      To my ear, the "appassionati" sound as if they are much
      more passionate about their work than the "componenti".

      Might an Italian speaker please explain this rather
      interesting terminology? It seems to touch on the
      high meaning of the word "amateur"?

      David (amateur before member)
    • Bernardo Boncompagni
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 4, 2009
        djbroadhurst dice:

        > I am interested in the difference between
        > the "componenti" and the "appassionati" at
        > http://www.gruppoeratostene.com/ <http://www.gruppoeratostene.com/>
        >
        > To my ear, the "appassionati" sound as if they are much
        > more passionate about their work than the "componenti".

        I am a native Italian speaker, and in this context I would translate
        "componenti" as "members" and "appassionati" as "friends". In the
        "componenti" page this is made clearer calling the "appassionati"
        "collaboratori esterni", which means "external partners".

        However, in Italian "appassionato" (singular form of "appassionati")
        means indeed a person which has a passion for something. OTOH
        "Componenti", which strictly means "members" has of course nothing to do
        with passion.

        Last, "amateur" translates in Italian as "dilettante", opposed to
        "professionista" ("professional") but "dilettante" has a much stronger
        pejorative meaning than the English "amateur". In fact, it is usually
        used about a professional who is not able to do her or his job :)

        Bernardo Boncompagni

        "When the missionaries arrived, the Africans had
        the land and the missionaries had the bible.
        They taught how to pray with our eyes closed.
        When we opened them, they had the land and we
        had the bible"
        Jomo Kenyatta

        VisualTaxa - Taxonomy in a visual way
        http://visualtaxa.redgolpe.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 4, 2009
          Bernardo Boncompagni <RedGolpe@...> wrote:

          > However, in Italian "appassionato" (singular form of "appassionati")
          > means indeed a person which has a passion for something. OTOH
          > "Componenti", which strictly means "members" has of course
          > nothing to do with passion.

          Off-list, Giovanni told me that in his case the "componenti"
          are "appassionati" who also pay the cost of the site.

          > Last, "amateur" translates in Italian as "dilettante", opposed
          > to "professionista" ("professional") but "dilettante" has a much
          > stronger pejorative meaning than the English "amateur".
          > In fact, it is usually used about a professional who is not
          > able to do her or his job :)

          The word "amateur" is often used pejoratively in English.
          I am fighting a losing battle to have it restored to its
          true meaning.

          David (amateur of number theory)