Repunit Project

  • Di Maria Giovanni
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 4, 2009
      Hi to All
      I'm Giovanni Di Maria
      Maksym Voznyy, me and other people are running the "Repunit Project", to find next Repunit Prime Number.

      The results are on:
      http://www.gruppoeratostene.com/ric-repunit/repunit.htm

      Interested people want to partecipate ARE WELCOME.
      Please Contact Maksym Voznyy (the discoverer of R(270343)) at:

      voznyy@...

      Best regards

      Giovanni Di Maria
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 4, 2009
        --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com,
        "Di Maria Giovanni" <calimero22@...> wrote:

        > http://www.gruppoeratostene.com/ric-repunit/repunit.htm

        I am interested in the difference between
        the "componenti" and the "appassionati" at
        http://www.gruppoeratostene.com/

        To my ear, the "appassionati" sound as if they are much
        more passionate about their work than the "componenti".

        Might an Italian speaker please explain this rather
        interesting terminology? It seems to touch on the
        high meaning of the word "amateur"?

        David (amateur before member)
      • Bernardo Boncompagni
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 4, 2009
          djbroadhurst dice:

          > I am interested in the difference between
          > the "componenti" and the "appassionati" at
          > http://www.gruppoeratostene.com/ <http://www.gruppoeratostene.com/>
          >
          > To my ear, the "appassionati" sound as if they are much
          > more passionate about their work than the "componenti".

          I am a native Italian speaker, and in this context I would translate
          "componenti" as "members" and "appassionati" as "friends". In the
          "componenti" page this is made clearer calling the "appassionati"
          "collaboratori esterni", which means "external partners".

          However, in Italian "appassionato" (singular form of "appassionati")
          means indeed a person which has a passion for something. OTOH
          "Componenti", which strictly means "members" has of course nothing to do
          with passion.

          Last, "amateur" translates in Italian as "dilettante", opposed to
          "professionista" ("professional") but "dilettante" has a much stronger
          pejorative meaning than the English "amateur". In fact, it is usually
          used about a professional who is not able to do her or his job :)

          Bernardo Boncompagni

          "When the missionaries arrived, the Africans had
          the land and the missionaries had the bible.
          They taught how to pray with our eyes closed.
          When we opened them, they had the land and we
          had the bible"
          Jomo Kenyatta

          VisualTaxa - Taxonomy in a visual way
          http://visualtaxa.redgolpe.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 4, 2009
            Bernardo Boncompagni <RedGolpe@...> wrote:

            > However, in Italian "appassionato" (singular form of "appassionati")
            > means indeed a person which has a passion for something. OTOH
            > "Componenti", which strictly means "members" has of course
            > nothing to do with passion.

            Off-list, Giovanni told me that in his case the "componenti"
            are "appassionati" who also pay the cost of the site.

            > Last, "amateur" translates in Italian as "dilettante", opposed
            > to "professionista" ("professional") but "dilettante" has a much
            > stronger pejorative meaning than the English "amateur".
            > In fact, it is usually used about a professional who is not
            > able to do her or his job :)

            The word "amateur" is often used pejoratively in English.
            I am fighting a losing battle to have it restored to its
            true meaning.

            David (amateur of number theory)