Re: Formula

  • powellarp
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 3, 2009
      --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, Lowell Rice <lowellcrice@...> wrote:

      > I'm new to this whole concept of talking about only primes, but I randomly came up with a formula to help find just some random primes.  It may seem ludicrous, but bear with me.  If two numbers have a GCF of 1, and have the same number of the same values of powers in their prime factorization, the the some of their squares will usually be a prime.  I haven't fully tested it, and it does need narrowing down as to more limitations on when it'll work, but it's a start.

      Lowell

      Am I missing something:
      85 = 6^2 + 7^2
      205 = 3^2 + 14^2
      221 = 5^2 + 14^2
      365 = 2^2 + 19^2
      445 = 2^2 + 21^2
      etc etc etc

      Alan
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 3, 2009
        "marku606" <mark.underwood@...> wrote:

        >> Just checked up to 300,000 for numbers of the form 8n+5:
        6531 of such numbers are primes or prime powers, and they
        can all be written as the sum of two relatively prime
        squares only once. It appears that numbers of the form 8n+5
        which are not prime or prime powers cannot be written as the
        sum of two relatively prime powers only once.
        For number of the form 8n+1: 6572 of such numbers are
        primes or prime powers, but only 6510 of these can be
        written as the sum of two relatively prime squares only
        once. The sixty two that cannot are all primes powers,
        specifically, primes raised to an even power.
        As in the case for numbers of the form 8n+5, it appears
        that numbers of the form 8n+1 which are not prime or prime
        powers cannot be written as the sum of two relatively prime
        powers only once. <<

        All this is very simply explained
        by unique factorization in K(sqrt(-1)).

        1) A number N is the sum of two squares if and only if
        every prime divisor of N that is congruent to 3 mod 4
        occurs to an even power.

        2) An odd number N is the sum of two coprime squares in precisely
        one way if only if N is a prime congruent to 1 mod 4
        or a power of such a prime.

        Note that (1) is a consequence of Theorem 252 of Hardy and Wright,
        that the primes of K(sqrt(-1)) are: 1 + I, the rational primes
        congruent to 3 mod 4, the factors a + b*I of the rational primes
        congruent to 1 mod 4, and the associates of these primes.

        To understand (2), suppose that
        p = norm(a+I*b) = a^2 + b^2 and
        q = norm(c+I*d) = c^2 + d^2
        are distinct rational primes congruent to 1 mod 4.
        Then we may write
        p*q = norm((a+I*b)*(c+I*d)) = (a*c-b*d)^2 + (b*c+a*d)^2
        p*q = norm((a+I*b)*(c-I*d)) = (a*c+b*d)^2 + (b*c-a*d)^2
        in two essentially different ways.
        But for any power k of p, the only sum of coprime squares is
        p^k = norm((a+I*b)^k)
        since if we try something like
        p^k = norm((a+I*b)^(k-j)*(a-I*b)^j)
        with k > j > 0, then p will divide both of the resultant squares.

        David
      • marku606
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 3, 2009

          > All this is very simply explained
          > by unique factorization in K(sqrt(-1)).

          Yes, of course. :)

          Simplicity is one thing; understanding the simple can be downright elusive to the untrained. Thank you David for your explanation. By the powers of heaven, one day I'm going to understand it.

          Mark
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 4, 2009
            Kermit Rose <kermit@...> wrote:

            > An integer z is a sum of two squares in exactly one way
            > if and only if it is one of the following forms:
            > (1) an odd power of 2, z = 2**(2*m+1) for m > 0
            > (2) a prime equal to 1 mod 4
            > (3) the square of a prime equal to 1 mod 4 or
            > (4) z = p*h**2 where p is either 2, or an odd prime
            > equal to 1 mod 4, or the square of an odd prime equal
            > to 1 mod 4, and h has all prime factors equal to 3 mod 4.

            This is clearly false. Simply consider 20 = 2^2 + 4^2.

            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 4, 2009
              I wrote:

              > An odd number N is the sum of two coprime squares in precisely
              > one way if and only if N is a prime congruent to 1 mod 4
              > or a power of such a prime.

              and then "Kermit Rose" mistakenly claimed

              > David, a Minor correction is needed here

              with the irrelevant observations

              > 2**2 + 11**2 = 5**3
              > 10**2 + 5**2 = 5**3

              Note that 10^2 and 5^2 are not coprime.