Re: Problems with Tom's paper on the Goldbach Conjecture

    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 3, 2009
      --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, "marku606"
      <mark.underwood@...> wrote:

      > On the way to prove such, of course it would have to be proven
      > that there are indeed primes from n to 2n.
      > Such a little thing. :)

      Indeed :-)

      I sometimes wonder why purported provers of the G*ldb*ch conjecture
      don't criticize Erdos for using central binomial coefficients in
      his proof of Bertrand's postulate, nicely caught here
      http://secamlocal.ex.ac.uk/people/staff/rjchapma/etc/bertrand.pdf
      by Robin Chapman. The close reasoning in this proof of a result
      immensely weaker than the G*ldb*ch conjecture ought to offer
      some sort of warning, one might have thought? Of course
      it is not beyond the bounds of reason that Chebyshev and Erdos
      fooled themselves and the rest us into thinking that even
      Betrand's postulate is this hard to prove.

      David
    • Chris Caldwell
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 3, 2009
        >> On the way to prove such, of course it would have to be proven
        >> that there are indeed primes from n to 2n.
        >> Such a little thing. :)

        Nice point mark!

        > I sometimes wonder why purported provers of the G*ldb*ch conjecture
        > don't criticize Erdos for using central binomial coefficients in

        Yes, and that is one of the simplest proofs. It would be kind for these
        provers to offer us a half-page proof of the Bertrand result which is so

        much simpler than Goldbach. What a fine way to catch the attention of
        mathematicians that would be... CC