Re: new Primo project was started

  • Mike Oakes
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 16, 2009
      --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, Norman Luhn <nluhn@...> wrote:

      > Hello members, indeed I have started a new candidate, 8 days ago.
      >
      > The number have 10099 digits and now I'm on TEST 24 (24/1300).
      > The downrun of the first 550 bits are done.
      > There are very good chances to certify this hugh number.

      I must "come clean", Norman, and tell you that I initiated a 10000+ digit cert. on 2 July 2008. Two, in fact, one with Primo 2.2.0 beta 5 and one with 2.2.0 beta 7 (both rather ancient versions), on not-particularly-speedy Athlon single-core machines.
      I abandoned the former after a few months.

      After about 10 months running the latter, I realized that Marcel had a much improved version, so I switched to Primo 3.0.6 , and it is now running 24/7 on a 3.6 GHz Intel Core Duo Quad, with 25000 bits still to go. (To reduce from 10000 to 8000 digits took, as the "d^4.5" approx. law would predict, a /very/ long time...)

      It will be interesting to see who becomes the first to achieve a gigantic monoprocessor certification:-)

      -Mike Oakes