Re: FW: [PrimeNumbers] recurrence/iterative definition of prime numbers ?

  • Yann Guidon
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 2 6:36 AM
      hi !

      Gregory J. McClure wrote:
      > Yann,
      >
      > It is my understanding that no formula has ever been found that produces
      > ONLY primes. If that is true,
      and I believe the same as you,

      > then how can one find a formula (I believe in the sense
      > that you are asking) that will find P(n+1) from P(n) recursively?
      well, not necessary a formula (I prefer algorithms)
      and recursivity (as understood in programming) is not necessary,
      it's just that I often mistake recurrence and recursion (sorry).
      (AFAIK certain classes of algorithms can easily be converted
      from iterative to recursive and vice versa).

      Anyway, I concede that I don't use recursivity for this subject.
      I should have written "recurrence", I think. it's the lack of sleep,
      maybe...

      regards,

      > Greg
      yg