True confessions

  • paulmillscv@yahoo.co.uk
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 2, 2001
      Hello to all,
      I have tried to conduct myself with restraint and propriety as
      befits an intelligent Pink Panther interested in number theory. Not
      for me to unleash the deadly Oxford wit upon an unsuspecting
      victim, or utter the mystic saying for which P. Mills my alter ego is
      renowned. Some years ago I was a seminarian in a Catholic seminary,
      St. Meinrad's, Indiana, in the USA. So there! I was asked to leave
      after 1 year. Now, I notice that Top Cat Caldwell is a prof at a
      Baptist university in the US. May I invite prof Caldwell to the UK
      so that among other things he can Baptize Broadhurst. I will
      personally hold him under the water for you. Only don't forget to
      tell me when to let go. (Now I wonder why they asked me to leave
      the seminary!) If perchance he has already been Baptized, then I
      suggest that you do it again, or even several times. As many times
      as it takes for him to find the obvious connection between number
      theory and field theory…. Any more –ve heckling from Dr. DB and it
      will be pencils at dawn on Christchurch meadow, Oxford University.
      In fact I will be there on Saturday, so expect me to pray for you.
      And my friend President Bill Clinton won't come whirling through the
      air in his Chinook to help you this time. Just because it Paul Erdos
      took a Ph.D thesis to prove Bertrand's postulate it doesn't mean I
      have to. Mark my words. Bill and Hilary will be back in 8 years!
      In the meantime, do whatever George tells you or I will keep him
      there and I will be back in the US paper and pencil in hand and
      this time my mind will not be open.

      Regards,
      Paul Mills,
      Kenilworth,
      England.
    • joe.mclean@it.glasgow.gov.uk
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 3, 2001
        Paul,

        regarding your proof of Bertrand's postulate, which is based on the
        two congruences x = n mod A and x = -B mod n where A+B = n and n+A is
        a prime. How do you choose A, B and n ? You cannot choose arbitrary
        values, since it is easy to find composites, e.g. n = 11, A = 4, so
        these must come from an existing example. But the occurrence of one
        prime between a known n and 2n can hardly be used to prove the general
        case. All you are doing is going round in a circle. You also make
        several illogical leaps, including deducing that your primary
        equations are true, when they are already statements of fact. Your
        whole approach is fundamentally flawed.

        The criticism you have received from the likes of David Broadhurst and
        Phil Carmody and me is not meant as insult, but is a necessary part of
        maths - all work must be independently and objectively verified in
        order to be considered valid.

        Joe.

        Disclaimer:
        This message is intended only for use of the addressee. If this message
        was sent to you in error, please notify the sender and delete this message.
        Glasgow City Council cannot accept responsibility for viruses, so please
        scan attachments. Views expressed in this message do not necessarily reflect
        those of the Council who will not necessarily be bound by its contents.