non-proof of Betrand

  • d.broadhurst@open.ac.uk
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 2, 2001
      Joe Mclean wrote

      > I've looked at Paul's website, and in particular a couple of
      > proofs.

      I looked only at

      http://members.tripod.co.uk/comms1/Keys/Bert1.pdf

      which is, as Joe said, patently circular.

      I think it is very unfair on Chris Caldwell to
      cite him in the acknowledgements to this document,
      which purports to be a submission to the Royal Society.

      David
    • Chris Caldwell
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 2, 2001
        At 12:32 PM 8/2/01 +0000, d.broadhurst@... wrote:
        >I think it is very unfair on Chris Caldwell to
        >cite him in the acknowledgements to this document,
        >which purports to be a submission to the Royal Society.

        I very much would prefer **not** to be cited there.

        I appreciate being thanked, and indeed you are all
        thanked there (as a community). But my concern
        is simply that it could be taken to imply that I am
        endorsing his work--which I do not. In fact it might
        naturally be taken to imply I have seen his work,
        which I have done in only a very cursory manner.

        So I'd appreciate my name being removed from the
        thanks. At the very least I think it would more
        correct for him to write "My thanks to
        Dr. Caldwell for creating a useful web site and..."
        which clarifies our lack of interaction.

        Chris

        Chris K. Caldwell, professor
        University of Tennessee at Martin
        Martin, TN 38238 caldwell@...