Re: factor request

  • David Broadhurst
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 27, 2009
      --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com,
      Bryan Bartlett <valareos@...> wrote:

      > a monetary reward is certainly incentive for those of
      > us who lost their job and will find any small way to
      > continue to bring money in

      Indeed, Bryan.

      Perhaps when I wrote
      > we are motivated by much more important considerations
      modern folk might have wondered why such a miscellaneous
      thing as primality proving might be dignified as important?

      There is an antique word that explains this: Arete.

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Arete_in_Ephesus.jpg

      In ancient Greece, this meant fulfillment of purpose.
      Even today, some still talk of the pursuit of excellence.

      As in ancient Greece, this is a luxury, attainable
      only after securing a modicum of necessities.

      But that modicum may be quite small.