Re: Lehmer sequence puzzle

  • David Broadhurst
    Message 1 of 33 , May 10, 2009
      --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com,
      "Mike Oakes" <mikeoakes2@...> wrote:

      > PFGW parser doesn't know about sqrt().

      Perhaps PFGW doesn't need to know about sqrt()
      because it is dedicated to elementary number theory,
      not to complex analysis :-?

      "Lucas made the integer sequences
      and all else is Oakes' invention."

      In good humour :-)

      David, pp SSSR

      PS: Henri has truncated the "sqrting" at 84849 digits in
      http://www.primenumbers.net/prptop/searchform.php?form=?sqrt?
      For this quartic norm, I don't know what to suggest, sorry.
    • David Broadhurst
      Message 33 of 33 , May 10, 2009
        <mikeoakes2@...> wrote [with unfailing courtesy]:

        > lucasU(338,25,11584)-5*lucasU(338,25,11583)
        > I guess Chris would expect the last of these as being the most
        > "canonical"? And I concur, it being also the shortest.

        Yes, Mike, that last form is by far the neatest,
        if one removes the unnecessary "lucas", which should
        be well understood, when one speaks of "U" or "V".

        1) François Édouard Anatole Lucas defined the integer sequence
        U(P,Q,n) = P*U(P,Q,n-1) - Q*U(P,Q,n-2),
        with U(P,Q,0) = 0 and U(P,Q,1) = 1,
        in terms of elementary arithmetic.

        2) I like to imagine that Derrick Norman Lehmer (1867-1938) saw that
        U(P,Q^2,2*k+1) = U(P,Q^2,k+1)^2 - (Q*U(P,Q^2,n))^2
        and told his son: "Go look at the factors for your Ph.D."

        3) Certainly, Derrick Henry Lehmer (1905-1991) did study
        U(P,Q^2,k+1) - Q*U(P,Q^2,k)
        being very well aware of the super-Lucasian extension to powers
        of algebraic numbers of degree 4, in the wider complex plane.

        4) Mike Oakes has found that the Lehmer number
        U(P,Q^2,k+1) - Q*U(P,Q^2,k)
        is probably prime, when P = 338, Q = 5, k = 11583.

        5) David Broadhurst is able to characterize this
        circumstance without using a dirty 4-letter word :-)

        Thank ye, kindly, Sir, for this interesting thread!

        David, pp SSSR