Re: [PrimeNumbers] On primitive pythagorean triplets......

    Message 1 of 2 , May 5, 2009
      --- On Wed, 5/6/09, Jayanta Das <jkdnni@...> wrote:
      > Hello,
      >
      > I am an Asst. Teacher in Mathematics in the 11 and 12th
      > grade, from Kolkata, West Bengal, India and have recently
      > joined the PrimeNumbers Yahoo group.

      Welcome.

      > What I have here is a general algorithm for Primtive
      > Pythagoean Triplet generation as well as a general
      > formulation of triplet members and I want you guys to take a
      > look at it. To the best of my knowledge this is new and very
      > fundamental and can be very useful.

      Pythagorean triplets have already been enumerated. They're all of the form { k(x^2+y^2), kxy, k(x^2-y^2) }.

      > The statement of the algo. alongwith the observations are
      > attached here. I would be highly obliged if you could get
      > back to me with possible suggestions for improvement as well
      > as any errors or flaws in the logic...

      Attachments are not permitted on the list. If you can't describe your ideas in plain text, which is a very useful skill, then the purely visual parts could be uploaded to a free image hosting site. As a last resort, we can also host a small document in our group's files area.

      If you wish to describe an algorithm, one of the easiest ways is to simply provide a reference implementation of the algorithm. Favoured languages include Pari/GP (free, runs anywhere, maintained), UBASIC (free, DOS only, dead), Mathematica (expensive), Maple (expensive), ...