Re: [PrimeNumbers] crunching numbers help

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 14, 2009
      --- On Sat, 2/14/09, bill2math <bill2math@...> wrote:
      > Hi all:
      > I am working on a number theory problem and am calculating
      > billions and
      > billions of iterations related to the problem to get an
      > understanding
      > of how the primes are behaving under various constraints.
      > I can now
      > get sufficient results to establish certain trends related
      > to my
      > problem, but I would like to be able to get into the
      > trillions of
      > iterations as added confirmation of my findings. Each run
      > now takes
      > one or two days running on my one year old HP laptop with a
      > dual
      > processor speed of 1.9 Ghz. I have 2 Gb of ram, and that
      > seems to be
      > sufficient so far. My software is old, a 1990's era
      > copy of Borland C++
      > 3.0 and it is running on DOS. My code I am sure is not very
      > efficient
      > speed wise, but I doubt I can make it much faster (my
      > limitations).
      > Can anyone recommend what I might do to get the speed up by
      > something
      > close to an order of magnitude without too much cost ($500
      > or so)?
      > Thanks for any suggestions.

      The first thing to do is to work on improving your algorithm. Try to ensure that you don't calculate anything expensive twice, and deduce things from results of previous calculations. There are some pretty hot algorithmists and mathematicians on the list, feel free to describe your program and algorithm and we can see if there are improvements that can be made.