RE: [PrimeNumbers] Twin Primes Conjecture

  • cino hilliard
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 11, 2008
      Hi,
      We can set much tighter bounds than prime(n+1) and prime(2n+1).

      Chebyshev said it and I'l say it again:There's always a twin between n and fn.
      Well, for sufficiently large n if f is small. Of course a proof would require the truth of the twin prime conjecture.

      One can then whittle away at f = 1.5n,1.1n,1.01n,...fn and still find twins between n and fn for sufficiently large n. For example using pari,

      gpi2(n,f) = twinpi(f*n)-twinpi(n)

      twinpi(n) = \\ Count twin primes less than and including n { local(c,x); c=0;forprime(x=3,n,if(ispseudoprime(x+2),c++));c }
      No matter how small we make f, there is an n such that for alln after that there is a twin between n and fn.

      Certainly, f = 3 appears to cover all numbers. f=2 covers all n > 5, f=1.5 covers all n > 19, f=1.01 covers all n > 30000 etc

      This will be difficult to prove in general even if we assume the TPC.

      Enjoy,
      Cino Hilliard

      To: crivera@...; primenumbers@yahoogroups.comFrom: sebi_sebi@...: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 09:24:25 -0800Subject: [PrimeNumbers] Twin Primes Conjecture

      Hello all:Twin Primes ConjectureFor all n positive integer exists always a couple of twin primes between Prime[n+1] and Prime[2n+1]n=1 Prime[2]=3 , Prime[3]=5 3,5n=2 Prime[3]=5, Prime[5]=11 5,7n=3 Prime[4]=7,Prime[7]=17 11,13I have it checked for n=1 to 4000.SincerelySebastián Martín Ruiz[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]