Odd and Even Multiplicative Orders

  • Robert
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 24, 2008
      As part of the search for Brier numbers for bases other than 2, I have
      observed (although for only one base b=12), that primes that have an
      even multiplicative order base 12 may contribute to cover sets for
      both Sierpinski and Riesel numbers, and therefore for Brier numbers;
      whereas odd multiplicative order primes can contribute to Sierpinski
      or Riesel covers, but not both at the same time.

      A worked example is shown at
      http://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=10930 post 16

      I wonder why that is? Can someone provide some maths on that. Is it
      the case for all bases?

      Regards

      Robert Smith