Re: [PrimeNumbers] strange news

  • Alex Petty
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 8, 2008
      let me ask again.
      is this a real discovery? i didn't follow the previous explanation.

      thanks,
      alex

      --
      alexander.petty@...
      cell: +001.540.272.7970

      Phil Carmody wrote:

      > --- On Sat, 11/8/08, Alex Petty <alexander.petty@...
      > <mailto:alexander.petty%40gmail.com>> wrote:
      > > is this for real?
      >
      > Please don't top-post. "This", as a demonstrative pronoun, refers to
      > prior context, yet you've placed the context after it.
      >
      > > amin B wrote:
      > > > Hello friends
      > > > Being shocked when I have heard such this amazing news
      > > > that an Iranian professor named MR Moosavi has explored the
      > > > prime numbers formula.
      > > >
      > > > http://www.primenumbersformula.com/
      > <http://www.primenumbersformula.com/>
      >
      > And now to address your actual question - "is this for real?".
      >
      > Yes, that mail really was sent to the mailing list.
      > Yes, that website really does exist.
      > Yes, that website does, as mentioned in the mail, really contain
      > information about a prime number-related formula.
      >
      > If that doesn't adequately answer your question, perhaps you'd like to
      > ask a slightly less nebulous one.
      >
      > Phil

    • Jens Kruse Andersen
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 8, 2008
        Alex Petty wrote:
        > let me ask again.
        > is this a real discovery? i didn't follow the previous explanation.

        It depends what you mean by real. It works correctly and he may be the first
        to publish this particular formula, but useless prime formulas based on
        Wilson's theorem are common.
        The discoverer added mention of it to Wikipedia in June 2007.
        I removed it with an edit summary pointing to Wikipedia policies and ending
        "Looks trivial, useless, non-notable":
        http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Formula_for_primes&diff=next&oldid=136831799

        At the time I checked that the formula actually works.
        It uses the well-known Wilson's theorem (apparently first discovered by the
        Arabian mathematician Ibn al-Haytham around year 1000) to test whether 2m+1
        is an odd prime. If it is then 2m+1 is produced, otherwise 2. Instead of
        writing this as a simple if-then-else, it uses a complicated formula with
        the floor function to avoid direct use of an if-then-else construct which is
        sometimes not considered an allowed part of a "formula".

        --
        Jens Kruse Andersen