A big hole in the prime universe

  • Robert
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 26, 2008
      Here is a fact:

      No number of the form 4*b^n+/-1 with b==14mod15 is prime.

      Does this mean that when b not 14mod15 there is an increased chance of
      primes and twins over normal probabilities or are such forms 4*x+/-1,
      with x in the form b^n just less prime. My gut feel tells me that the
      former is the case.

      Regards

      Robert Smith
    • Robert
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 26, 2008
        --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" <robert_smith44@...> wrote:

        > Here is a fact:
        >
        > No number of the form 4*b^n+/-1 with b==14mod15 is prime.
        >
        > Does this mean that when b not 14mod15 there is an increased chance of
        > primes and twins over normal probabilities or are such forms 4*x+/-1,
        > with x in the form b^n just less prime. My gut feel tells me that the
        > former is the case.
        >
        > Regards
        >
        > Robert Smith

        Should have thought more before I posted. All numbers of the stated
        form are divisible by 3 or 5, so my gut feeling is correct, there is
        an increased chance that 4*b^n+/-1; b not 14mod15; are prime. It is
        just a partial sieve.