Re: [PrimeNumbers] Q &

  • Devaraj Kandadai
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 25, 2008
      Shd Phil be expelled from the gr for intemperate language? Vote reqd from
      members
      Devaraj

      On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 4:56 PM, Phil Carmody <thefatphil@...>wrote:

      > --- On Wed, 9/24/08, dkandadai <dkandadai@...<dkandadai%40gmail.com>>
      > wrote:
      > > Q: What is indirect primality testing?
      > >
      > > A: If you were to test a prime suspect by applying the
      > > Lucas -Lehmer
      > > test or square root method or any other tested
      > > algorithm you are
      > > direct primality testing. When the suspect is very
      > > large it may
      > > be better to adopt an indirect test as illustated in my
      > > entry "In-
      > > direct primality testing of quadratic cyclotomic
      > > polynomials" (PM
      > > Encyclopedia - Cyclotomic polynomials).
      > >
      > > Q: Can this be applied to all large prime suspects?
      > >
      > > A: No - only in special cases like the ones indicated in
      > > the above.
      >
      > Be forewarned - I see both (5) and (9) from
      > http://primes.utm.edu/notes/crackpot.html
      >
      > Phil

    • Paul Leyland
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 26, 2008
        Certainly not. I found his posting both measured and on-topic.

        Paul

        On Thu, 2008-09-25 at 15:55 +0530, Devaraj Kandadai wrote:
        > Shd Phil be expelled from the gr for intemperate language? Vote reqd
        > from
        > members
        > Devaraj
      • Christ van Willegen
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 26, 2008
          On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 3:45 PM, Paul Leyland <paul@...> wrote:
          > Certainly not. I found his posting both measured and on-topic.
          >
          > On Thu, 2008-09-25 at 15:55 +0530, Devaraj Kandadai wrote:
          >> Shd Phil be expelled from the gr for intemperate language? Vote reqd
          >> from
          >> members
          >> Devaraj

          Not only that, but your (Devaraj, not Paul's!) reply also invokes
          point 24 and 26, if you're not careful.

          Christ van Willegen
          --
          09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
        • Chris Caldwell
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 26, 2008
            I agree. I thought it was a kind way to point out what many were
            thinking.