Q & A

  • dkandadai
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 23, 2008
      Q: What is indirect primality testing?

      A: If you were to test a prime suspect by applying the Lucas -Lehmer
      test or square root method or any other tested algorithm you are
      direct primality testing. When the suspect is very large it may
      be better to adopt an indirect test as illustated in my entry "In-
      direct primality testing of quadratic cyclotomic polynomials" (PM
      Encyclopedia - Cyclotomic polynomials).

      Q: Can this be applied to all large prime suspects?

      A: No - only in special cases like the ones indicated in the above.
    • dkandadai

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 24, 2008
          --- On Wed, 9/24/08, dkandadai <dkandadai@...> wrote:
          > Q: What is indirect primality testing?
          >
          > A: If you were to test a prime suspect by applying the
          > Lucas -Lehmer
          > test or square root method or any other tested
          > algorithm you are
          > direct primality testing. When the suspect is very
          > large it may
          > be better to adopt an indirect test as illustated in my
          > entry "In-
          > direct primality testing of quadratic cyclotomic
          > polynomials" (PM
          > Encyclopedia - Cyclotomic polynomials).
          >
          > Q: Can this be applied to all large prime suspects?
          >
          > A: No - only in special cases like the ones indicated in
          > the above.

          Be forewarned - I see both (5) and (9) from http://primes.utm.edu/notes/crackpot.html

          Phil
        • Devaraj Kandadai
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 25, 2008
            Shd Phil be expelled from the gr for intemperate language? Vote reqd from
            members
            Devaraj

            On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 4:56 PM, Phil Carmody <thefatphil@...>wrote:

            > --- On Wed, 9/24/08, dkandadai <dkandadai@...<dkandadai%40gmail.com>>
            > wrote:
            > > Q: What is indirect primality testing?
            > >
            > > A: If you were to test a prime suspect by applying the
            > > Lucas -Lehmer
            > > test or square root method or any other tested
            > > algorithm you are
            > > direct primality testing. When the suspect is very
            > > large it may
            > > be better to adopt an indirect test as illustated in my
            > > entry "In-
            > > direct primality testing of quadratic cyclotomic
            > > polynomials" (PM
            > > Encyclopedia - Cyclotomic polynomials).
            > >
            > > Q: Can this be applied to all large prime suspects?
            > >
            > > A: No - only in special cases like the ones indicated in
            > > the above.
            >
            > Be forewarned - I see both (5) and (9) from
            > http://primes.utm.edu/notes/crackpot.html
            >
            > Phil

          • Paul Leyland
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 26, 2008
              Certainly not. I found his posting both measured and on-topic.

              Paul

              On Thu, 2008-09-25 at 15:55 +0530, Devaraj Kandadai wrote:
              > Shd Phil be expelled from the gr for intemperate language? Vote reqd
              > from
              > members
              > Devaraj
            • Christ van Willegen
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 26, 2008
                On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 3:45 PM, Paul Leyland <paul@...> wrote:
                > Certainly not. I found his posting both measured and on-topic.
                >
                > On Thu, 2008-09-25 at 15:55 +0530, Devaraj Kandadai wrote:
                >> Shd Phil be expelled from the gr for intemperate language? Vote reqd
                >> from
                >> members
                >> Devaraj

                Not only that, but your (Devaraj, not Paul's!) reply also invokes
                point 24 and 26, if you're not careful.

                Christ van Willegen
                --
                09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
              • Chris Caldwell
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 26, 2008
                  I agree. I thought it was a kind way to point out what many were
                  thinking.