Re: [PrimeNumbers] Prime K-tuple patterns

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 4, 2008
      --- On Thu, 9/4/08, Tom <tom@...> wrote:
      > Patterns page:
      > http://www.opertech.com/primes/k-tuples.html

      > For those interested the k-tuple pattern
      > pages have been updated. This will be the
      > last update for some time, as I am going to
      > proceed with rewriting the exhaustive search
      > program (this time without an upper limit)
      > in an attempt to further reduce the range
      > of the first contradiction to the HL
      > conjecture pi(x+y)-pi(x)<=pi(y).
      >
      > Currently the bounds are 2077 < y <= 3159
      > and prelim calculations say I should be
      > able to achieve raising the lower bound
      > to about 2300 using my home PC.

      Can you write this in a way such that the task can be distributed over multiple machines? If so, and the code's portable, then I can stick 2*2 GHz of G5 processors (running either OSX or Linux) onto such a task. There might be others who would be willing to take small chunks too. What's the Big-Oh of the problem - how hard is pushing from 2300-2400 compared with pushing from 2200-2300?