Re: [PrimeNumbers] Some prime-related puzzles

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 20, 2008
      From: Jens Kruse Andersen <jens.k.a@...>
      > Phil Carmody wrote:
      > > http://projecteuler.net/index.php?section=problems
      >
      > From
      > http://projecteuler.net/index.php?section=problems&id=27:
      >
      > > Euler published the remarkable quadratic formula:
      > >
      > > n^2 + n + 41
      > >
      > > It turns out that the formula will produce 40 primes
      > > for the consecutive values n = 0 to 39.
      > > Using computers, the incredible formula n^2 - 79n +
      > 1601
      > > was discovered, which produces 80 primes for the
      > consecutive
      > > values n = 0 to 79.
      >
      > The last part doesn't sound very respectful to Euler
      > for a
      > project named after him, but I guess the problem author is
      > unaware of that.

      OK, a prize of muchos kudos[*] to the first person who finds the question to which the correct answer isn't recognised as correct.

      I may have recommended it, but that doesn't mean I think it's right!

      Phil
      [* actually, it's so simple that it shouldn't take too long to find, but then again perhaps the kudo is of very low value currently?]