Re: [PrimeNumbers] AP25

  • Jens Kruse Andersen
    Message 1 of 7 , May 17, 2008
      Jarek wrote:
      > This morning the first known AP25 has been discovered:
      >
      > 6171054912832631 + 366384*23#*n, for n=0 to 24
      > (Raanan Chermoni & Jaroslaw Wroblewski, May 17 2008)
      >
      > My contribution was the search program, while Raanan provided the
      > computer power.

      Huge congratulations!
      This is a very impressive and well deserved feat.
      http://hjem.get2net.dk/jka/math/aprecords.htm is updated.
      As the only known AP25 it gets 5 records: Longest known AP, largest
      known AP25, and smallest known difference, start and end for an AP25.
      Getting 5 records for one AP may sound like a lot but it's much more
      than 5 times as hard as most of the other records.

      --
      Jens Kruse Andersen
    • Chris Caldwell
      Message 2 of 7 , May 17, 2008
        Jens Kruse Andersen wrote:
        > Huge congratulations!
        > This is a very impressive and well deserved feat.
        > http://hjem.get2net.dk/jka/math/aprecords.htm is updated.

        I agree! Decided to change my 2006 banner notes about the last
        Mersenne to this AP on my "main" page primes.utm.edu/
        and primes.utm.edu/largest.html

        > Getting 5 records for one AP may sound like a lot but it's
        > much more than 5 times as hard as most of the other records.

        We know they exist with arbitrary length, but 25 seems a long
        way from infinity doesn't it?

        CC
      • Jens Kruse Andersen
        Message 3 of 7 , May 17, 2008
          Chris Caldwell wrote:

          > I agree! Decided to change my 2006 banner notes about the last
          > Mersenne to this AP on my "main" page primes.utm.edu/
          > and primes.utm.edu/largest.html

          Nice. I see it's already in Prime Curios!:
          http://primes.utm.edu/curios/page.php/6171054912832631.html
          This can also be updated:
          http://primes.utm.edu/glossary/page.php?sort=ArithmeticSequence

          > We know they exist with arbitrary length, but 25 seems a long
          > way from infinity doesn't it?

          Yes it does. I made a similar "but" when Jarek's earlier record was
          mentioned on Wikipedia's main page in 2007 with the text:
          "Did you know...
          ...that existence of arbitrarily many primes in arithmetic progression was
          proven in 2004, but it took 75 computers to find an example with 24 primes?"

          It's archived at
          http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Template:Did_you_know&oldid=138995374
          (People are not supposed to know the "Did you know" facts)

          I have updated http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primes_in_arithmetic_progression

          --
          Jens Kruse Andersen