Re: [PrimeNumbers] Re: AP25

  • Paul Schmidt
    Message 1 of 7 , May 17 6:33 AM
      Jarek,

      I might be interested in helping to set up a distributed system. Since each
      segment is independent, this shouldn't take anything fancy. I am a professional
      web programmer and could manage this as a web project in a database. That
      way people could easily request segments and get them assigned.

      Is your program just source at this point? Or do you have a stand alone exe?
      Someone else might be able to put together an windows version.

      I have also looked at PrimeGrid and this is probably the best way to distribute
      the project. Does anyone here have experience on that system?

      Paul

      Message 2 of 7 , May 17 9:29 AM
        Jarek wrote:
        > This morning the first known AP25 has been discovered:
        >
        > 6171054912832631 + 366384*23#*n, for n=0 to 24
        > (Raanan Chermoni & Jaroslaw Wroblewski, May 17 2008)
        >
        > My contribution was the search program, while Raanan provided the
        > computer power.

        Huge congratulations!
        This is a very impressive and well deserved feat.
        http://hjem.get2net.dk/jka/math/aprecords.htm is updated.
        As the only known AP25 it gets 5 records: Longest known AP, largest
        known AP25, and smallest known difference, start and end for an AP25.
        Getting 5 records for one AP may sound like a lot but it's much more
        than 5 times as hard as most of the other records.

        --
        Jens Kruse Andersen
      • Chris Caldwell
        Message 3 of 7 , May 17 11:40 AM
          Jens Kruse Andersen wrote:
          > Huge congratulations!
          > This is a very impressive and well deserved feat.
          > http://hjem.get2net.dk/jka/math/aprecords.htm is updated.

          I agree! Decided to change my 2006 banner notes about the last
          Mersenne to this AP on my "main" page primes.utm.edu/
          and primes.utm.edu/largest.html

          > Getting 5 records for one AP may sound like a lot but it's
          > much more than 5 times as hard as most of the other records.

          We know they exist with arbitrary length, but 25 seems a long
          way from infinity doesn't it?

          CC
        • Jens Kruse Andersen
          Message 4 of 7 , May 17 1:45 PM
            Chris Caldwell wrote:

            > I agree! Decided to change my 2006 banner notes about the last
            > Mersenne to this AP on my "main" page primes.utm.edu/
            > and primes.utm.edu/largest.html

            Nice. I see it's already in Prime Curios!:
            http://primes.utm.edu/curios/page.php/6171054912832631.html
            This can also be updated:
            http://primes.utm.edu/glossary/page.php?sort=ArithmeticSequence

            > We know they exist with arbitrary length, but 25 seems a long
            > way from infinity doesn't it?

            Yes it does. I made a similar "but" when Jarek's earlier record was
            mentioned on Wikipedia's main page in 2007 with the text:
            "Did you know...
            ...that existence of arbitrarily many primes in arithmetic progression was
            proven in 2004, but it took 75 computers to find an example with 24 primes?"

            It's archived at
            http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Template:Did_you_know&oldid=138995374
            (People are not supposed to know the "Did you know" facts)

            I have updated http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primes_in_arithmetic_progression

            --
            Jens Kruse Andersen