Re: [PrimeNumbers] Speeding up trial division algorithm

  • Paul Leyland
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 11, 2008
      On Sun, 2008-03-30 at 04:52, Kermit Rose wrote:
      > I implemented an idea that I thought might speed up the trial division
      > method of finding the factors of an integer.

      > Found factor after 3.6779999733 seconds.

      Wow! I'm impressed that you have a clock capable of measuring the time
      of a computation with 100ps accuracy!

      > Has anyone else experimented with trial division algorithm?

      Many many times over the last few centuries.

      > I'm wondering if these times represent a significant speed up of the
      > algorithm.

      Who knows? They're faster than I can do on my fingers, or even with
      pencil and paper. Perhaps if you told us how many machine cycles they
      took, and with the machine architecture, rather than just the elapsed
      time we might then have enough information to make an informed comment.

      Paul