Prime Conjecture

  • Sebastian Martin
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 2, 2008
      Hello All:

      Can anyone prove this conjecture?

      For all n>2 ;

      for all i: 1<= i<= n exist j: n+1 <= j <= n^(3/2)

      (1+pj)/(-1+pi) is integer.

      pi is the ith prime number.

      Sincerely:

      Sebastian Martín Ruiz

    • Mark Underwood
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 4, 2008
        --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, Sebastian Martin <sebi_sebi@...>
        wrote:

        > Hello All:
        >
        > Can anyone prove this conjecture?
        >
        > For all n>2 ;
        >
        > for all i: 1<= i<= n exist j: n+1 <= j <= n^(3/2)
        >
        > (1+pj)/(-1+pi) is integer.
        >

        > pi is the ith prime number.
        >
        > Sincerely:
        >
        > Sebastian Martín Ruiz

        Yes, yes. Maybe I'll share that proof later, hehe.

        Along similar lines:
        Given a prime p, is there always an r < (log(2*p+1))^2
        such that p*r - 1 is prime?
        (Or such that p*r + 1 is prime?)

        Example: let p = 740191.
        The first r such that p*r - 1 is prime is r = 192.
        But (log(2*740191+1))^2 =~201.9 > 192.

        Mark
      • Kermit Rose
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 4, 2008
          Sebastian asked the following.

          1a. Prime Conjecture
          Posted by: "Sebastian Martin" sebi_sebi@... sebi_sebi
          Date: Sun Mar 2, 2008 8:25 am ((PST))

          Hello All:

          Can anyone prove this conjecture?

          For all n>2 ;

          for all i: 1<= i<= n exist j: n+1 <= j <= n^(3/2)

          (1+pj)/(-1+pi) is integer.

          pi is the ith prime number.

          Sincerely:

          Sebastian Martín Ruiz

          Sebastian, this should be quite easy to prove for just about any subsequence of the positive integers.

          Prove that it's true for the entire set of positive integers, then it would be trivial to show that it's
          also true for the prime number subsequence.

          Kermit Rose < kermit@... >