Re: [PrimeNumbers] Update on CONTEST! and CONTEST++ $$

  • Payam Samidoost
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 29, 2007
      Hello

      Aldrich Stevens noted offline that my result is not correct:

      > There must be an error in your program.
      > All of your proposed counterexamples
      > actually do have values of k that
      > satisfy the conditions of the test.
      > x = 4, k = 162
      > x = 5, k = 247
      > x = 6, k = 351, 358
      > x = 9, k = 769

      and Peter Kosinar again offline located the my mistake:

      >> (issquare test: 0 < 5*(2*k-1)^2 - 4*A^2 = f^2)
      >> y := 5*(2^k-1)^2 - 4*A^2;
      > It seems your code uses 2^k, while the original poster used 2*k.

      Thank you Aldrich and Peter

      Changing the code as Peter noted
      and adding a single dot after 5 in sqrt(5) to avoid maple's symbolic
      manipulations
      and extending the for x to higher values
      the output reads as follows:

      4 160-176 (162)
      5 245-270 (247)
      6 348-384 (351)
      9 764-864 (769)
      10 938-1040 (952)
      100 89889-100400 (89893)
      1000 8948743-10004000 (8959147)

      Yes, not the conjecture nor its inverse is trivial!

      Regards,
      Payam