Probability of prime numbers

  • Rajeev Batra
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 27, 2007
      Before asking my question let me specify my credentials: high school
      maths. (so please spare me if the question is too easy/too absurd)

      Q. What is the probability that a number picked at random, is prime?
      (if the exact answer cannot be arrived at then is it possible to arrive
      at one with "reasonable" accuracy?)

      Worth a thought,

      Rajeev
    • Bernardo Boncompagni
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 27, 2007
        Rajeev Batra dice:

        > Q. What is the probability that a number picked at random, is prime?
        > (if the exact answer cannot be arrived at then is it possible to arrive
        > at one with "reasonable" accuracy?)

        Short answer: 1/log(n)
        Long answer: http://primes.utm.edu/howmany.shtml

        Bernardo Boncompagni

        "When the missionaries arrived, the Africans had
        the land and the missionaries had the bible.
        They taught how to pray with our eyes closed.
        When we opened them, they had the land and we
        had the bible"
        Jomo Kenyatta

        When's who - A timeline of history makers
        http://whenswho.redgolpe.com