discrete log query

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 18 6:58 AM
      Let p be a large prime, and g a generator of Z/pZ.

      Let u<p be non-zero modulo small prime q.

      From g^u (mod p), is it ever possible to tell anything more about u (mod q)?

      Rewording - is the simplest way of finding out any properties of u (mod q) just
      to perform a discrete log, and find u itself?

      I know that u==0 (mod q) is leaked due to residuacity and reciprocity,
      but if I remove that case, then are all other cases indistinguishable?

      that gives answers, not web links.