Re: [PrimeNumbers] Special form kilobit number factored!

    Message 1 of 3 , May 22, 2007
      I wonder if Bob knew ...

      --- David Cleaver <wraithx@...> wrote:
      > In either case, congratulations to Arjen Lenstra, Hendrik Lenstra,
      > John Pollard, and Mark Manasse (the four contributors mentioned in the
      > article) on completing this amazing feat! Here is the link to the article:
      > http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/05/070521100535.htm

      Actually, they're listed in the article as being the people who devised the
      algorithm. Personally, I thought it was more of Pollard's baby, he made the
      quantum leap by jumping into number fields rather than just sieving a real
      quadratic.

      However, it looks like Lenstra had a big hand in driving this particular crack.
      I'm surprised there is no mention of CWI. Maybe they started looking at their
      electricity bills after previous tasks?

      It's quite a mindblowing achievement. Props to all.

      Oh - in other news, RSA have pulled the RSA factoring challenge.

      Honest.

      http://www.rsa.com/rsalabs/node.asp?id=2091
      """
      Now that the industry has a considerably more advanced understanding of the
      cryptanalytic strength of common symmetric-key and public-key algorithms, these
      challenges are no longer active.
      """

      Does that translate as "oh dear, those damn academics are getting close to
      claiming another 30 grand, maybe 80 grand"

      ____________________________________________________________________________________Looking for a deal? Find great prices on flights and hotels with Yahoo! FareChase.
      http://farechase.yahoo.com/
      Message 2 of 3 , May 22, 2007
        Horse's mouth: