I must know this before I die

  • mistermac39
    Message 1 of 1 , May 18, 2007
      Having dabbled at the edges for years, and having gone through the FAQ
      and not found an answer, can you prime finders tell me this?

      How are most "ordinary" very large prime candidates found?

      Are they large factors of some Lucas type function?

      Are they off shoots of some search for a Mersenne.

      Are they large factors of a search for say a*x^n +/- k?

      Or are they something else?