Re: [PrimeNumbers] Known prime gaps

  • SWagler@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , May 7, 2007
      All,

      Years ago I plotted a frequency distribution of prime gaps from 2 to some small limit and the curve always looked similar to the curve for black body radiation. Has anyone done this for limits large or small? Are there theoretical reasons to account for this?

      Steve Wagler

      Message 2 of 11 , May 7, 2007
        --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Oakes" <mikeoakes2@...>
        wrote:

        > Yet, is it not true that your own Chinese Remainder Theorem technique
        > is equally designed to do precisely just that !

        Sorry, I'm probably being stupid and missing your point, which is: you
        want to give extra credit where /no/ such technique is employed, don't
        you?
        My bad.

        Mike
      • Jens Kruse Andersen
        Message 3 of 11 , May 7, 2007
          Mike Oakes wrote:
          > Sorry, I'm probably being stupid and missing your point, which is: you
          > want to give extra credit where /no/ such technique is employed, don't
          > you?

          Yes. Credit for doing something harder but more "natural".
          I recall an old Guinness edition which in addition to the official world
          record listed "fastest 100m at sea level" (there is less air resistance in
          thin air at altitude).
          The other table comment, "Largest gap with proven end points",
          is also extra credit.
          Finding large merits with no modular technique requires a huge
          number of attempts.
          Such gaps get "unfair" competition from "artificial" modular constructions.
          Without the basic expression listing, they would have no entry for
          merit above 20, and until recently no entry for merit above 10.

          --
          Jens Kruse Andersen
          Message 4 of 11 , May 8, 2007
            --- SWagler@... wrote:
            > All,
            >
            > Years ago I plotted a frequency distribution of prime gaps from 2 to some
            > small limit and the curve always looked similar to the curve for black body
            > radiation. Has anyone done this for limits large or small? Are there
            > theoretical reasons to account for this?

            Prime gaps are far from smoothly distributed.
            Gaps divisible by 3 are more likely than ones not divisible by 3.
            As 30 becomes small, gaps divisible by 30 also become more popular.
            As always this can be explained by looking at small primes.

            Message 5 of 11 , May 8, 2007
              > > Years ago I plotted a frequency distribution of prime gaps from 2 to some
              > > small limit and the curve always looked similar to the curve for black body
              > > radiation. Has anyone done this for limits large or small? Are there
              > > theoretical reasons to account for this?
              >
              > Prime gaps are far from smoothly distributed.
              > Gaps divisible by 3 are more likely than ones not divisible by 3.
              > As 30 becomes small, gaps divisible by 30 also become more popular.
              > As always this can be explained by looking at small primes.

              A good illustration: http://ieeta.pt/~tos/gaps.html

              All the best,

              Andrey

              Message 6 of 11 , May 8, 2007
                --- Andrey Kulsha <Andrey_601@...> wrote:
                > > > Years ago I plotted a frequency distribution of prime gaps from 2 to some
                > > > small limit and the curve always looked similar to the curve for black
                > body
                > > > radiation. Has anyone done this for limits large or small? Are there
                > > > theoretical reasons to account for this?
                > >
                > > Prime gaps are far from smoothly distributed.
                > > Gaps divisible by 3 are more likely than ones not divisible by 3.
                > > As 30 becomes small, gaps divisible by 30 also become more popular.
                > > As always this can be explained by looking at small primes.
                >
                > A good illustration: http://ieeta.pt/~tos/gaps.html

                Except it doesn't venture into the '30 becomes small' region. I can't remember
                where 30 takes over on from 30 as the most likely gap. I presume that's touched
                on somewhere on the prime pages or on mathworld, and if it isn't on both,
                something should be done about that!

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Jens Kruse Andersen
                Message 7 of 11 , May 8, 2007
                  Phil Carmody wrote:
                  >> A good illustration: http://ieeta.pt/~tos/gaps.html
                  >
                  > Except it doesn't venture into the '30 becomes small' region. I can't
                  > remember
                  > where 30 takes over on from 30 as the most likely gap. I presume that's
                  > touched
                  > on somewhere on the prime pages or on mathworld, and if it isn't on both,
                  > something should be done about that!

                  They are the first two hits on
                  http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22jumping+champion%22

                  --