Web Mail and my OP/ Graph for factors

  • gulland68
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2007
      Why didn't my original OP appear on web mail? One or two of my others
      have gone astray, two.
      It was:

      <<(on the subject of the shape of the skewed bell curve for number of
      factors beneath n):

      > The expected number of factors of x is ~ log(log(x)).
      > I think Knuth, Pardo, and perhaps Kac had some theories along those
      > lines.
      > See Riesel's PN&CMfF.
      > I don't believe being squarefree changes anything significantly.

      I am very keen to have a precise literary reference for this, if
      anyone can help. Particularly, a reference on the proof that the
      number of squarefree factors doesn't change the shape of it
      significantly.>>

      And if anyone *can* help, I'd still be very grateful.
      Cheers,
      Tom