Re: Automatic Prime Number Locator - A Remarkable Discovery Two Days Early

  • Nathan Russell
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 30, 2007
      --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, Bob Gilson <bobgillson@...> wrote:

      > It's my guess that this process has been known for years to both
      Bletchley Park and the NSA, and with it they have broken all the
      Internet Codes and RSA numbers at will. One thing's for sure I'm not
      going to use my credit card on the Internet any more.

      Putting aside the rest of your argument, a method to find all the
      primes quickly would not cause breaking RSA (or any other encryption
      system I'm aware of). Determining whether a specified number is a
      probable prime is an easy problem (seconds for numbers of the size
      used in RSA implementations), and a large probable prime is almost
      certain by all conventional standards of probability to be prime. If
      the NSA or anyone else found an efficient way to find the *prime
      factors* of large numbers, then they'd be in business (at least in
      terms of breaking RSA, which is being used somewhat less often for
      other reasons). Posting to the list because this is a moderately
      common misunderstanding.

      Nathan