Re: [PrimeNumbers] Re: proving the Riemann hypothesis

  • Shi Huang
    Message 1 of 40 , Feb 2, 2007

      > So RH still allows for a good deal of "randomness"
      > in
      > the distribution of the primes, but it states that
      > the
      > maximum deviation of pi(x) from Li(x) is
      > proportional
      > to sqrt(x)*log(x).

      So proving the RH would prove that primes are both
      random and non random, which is the key property of
      being a prime or what make it interesting. The RH is
      meant to prove what we suspected of primes is true.
      If we can prove the yin yang duality of primes without
      using the RH, we basically would accomplish the same
      thing. Prove the duality of prime is the real goal
      and the RH is just one way of doing it. There may
      exist simpler ways. May this characterization of RH
      represent a reasonable assesment of the RH?

      Yahoo! Music Unlimited
      Access over 1 million songs.
      http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited
    • Werner D. Sand
      Message 40 of 40 , Feb 7, 2007
        For example 2 adjacent gaps cannot be equal if they aren't multiple of
        6. For example the gap between 2 pairs of twins is at least 4. For
        example each prime number has the form 2n+/-1, 3n+/-1, 4n+/-1, 6n+/-1.
        Each pair of twins has the form 12n+-1, there are approximate formulas
        for the nth prime and the number of primes < x and so on. You cannot
        call all this random ore unpredictable. Of course the prime numbers are
        distributed as regularly as possible, that's a tautology. In
        mathematics everything is as regular as possible. Is pi random? Build
        P=2,357111317192329…, and you have the same case as pi. Consider the
        primes to be an irrational number, and there are no problems. If you
        mean there is no formula f(n) which produces primes for each n, then
        you are right. In this sense primes are random. (I am not quite sure –
        there is a formula p=[k^n^3] (H.W.Mills) which is said to produce only
        prime numbers). If you define "formula" as an algorithm, as a
        calculation instruction such as the sieve of Eratosthenes, then the
        primes are not random but simply what they are. Perhaps the compound
        numbers are random? Or are they only non-transparently complicated?

        Werner