Re: [PrimeNumbers] Euclidean generation of prime numbers

  • Alastair Farrugia
    Message 1 of 40 , Feb 1, 2007
      Thanks for all the replies.

      Alastair

      --
      http://www.AlastairFarrugia.net

      One must live the way one thinks,
      or end up thinking the way one has lived.
      Paul Bourget (1852 - 1935)

      Freedom is never voluntarily given by the oppressor;
      it must be demanded by the oppressed.
      Martin Luther King Jr.
    • Werner D. Sand
      Message 40 of 40 , Feb 7, 2007
        For example 2 adjacent gaps cannot be equal if they aren't multiple of
        6. For example the gap between 2 pairs of twins is at least 4. For
        example each prime number has the form 2n+/-1, 3n+/-1, 4n+/-1, 6n+/-1.
        Each pair of twins has the form 12n+-1, there are approximate formulas
        for the nth prime and the number of primes < x and so on. You cannot
        call all this random ore unpredictable. Of course the prime numbers are
        distributed as regularly as possible, that's a tautology. In
        mathematics everything is as regular as possible. Is pi random? Build
        P=2,357111317192329…, and you have the same case as pi. Consider the
        primes to be an irrational number, and there are no problems. If you
        mean there is no formula f(n) which produces primes for each n, then
        you are right. In this sense primes are random. (I am not quite sure –
        there is a formula p=[k^n^3] (H.W.Mills) which is said to produce only
        prime numbers). If you define "formula" as an algorithm, as a
        calculation instruction such as the sieve of Eratosthenes, then the
        primes are not random but simply what they are. Perhaps the compound
        numbers are random? Or are they only non-transparently complicated?

        Werner