Re: [PrimeNumbers] Just a story

  • Joshua Zucker
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 28, 2007
      On 1/28/07, maartenvanthiel <m.v.thiel@...> wrote:
      > Anyway, in about 1986, 3000 feet above Afghanistan, working on a palm
      > held (of those days), I found out that the "distance" between prime
      > twins is a product of 6. 11 13 / 29 31; 29 -/- 11 = 18 = 3 x 6.
      > Back home I faxed this to prof. Anthes, Darmstadt university prof in
      > history of mathematics and the Scryption museum (history of writing
      > and of office material; I was then the director) expert on the history
      > of calculators.
      > He was very surprised.
      > Question: was this not known in 1986???

      It's been known for probably thousands of years that prime twins must
      be of the form 6n-1 and 6n+1 (since 6n+3 can't be prime). Well,
      except 3 and 5 of course.

      > Now some years later I was half awake. "Distance between prime twins =
      > x 6, 6 is a perfect number (dont know how this is called in English;
      > what I mean is that 6 can be divided by 1, 2 and 3, while 1 + 2 + 3 =
      > 6). Next perfect number = 28. Would 28 be the distance between prime
      > triples?". You can see that I wasnt completely awake..

      Depends on what you mean by prime triples: sets of primes of the form
      p, p+2, p+6 or p, p+4, p+6 maybe? Then how far apart are they?

      > Anyway again. I continued thinking.
      > If 3 5 7 is a prime triple, another one would be N N+2 N+4.
      > So then the "distance" between 3 5 and N N+2 would have to be a
      > product of 6. BUT ALSO the "distance" between 5 7 and N+2 N+4. Which
      > cant be..

      Yup, p, p+2, and p+4 -- one of them must be divisible by 3, so 3 5 7
      is the only possibility.

      --Joshua Zucker