Re: [PrimeNumbers] Question on speed

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 13, 2007
      --- Jud McCranie <j.mccranie@...> wrote:
      > At 02:36 PM 1/13/2007, Phil Carmody wrote:
      > >--- george hayes <<mailto:gr.hayes%40yahoo.com>gr.hayes@...> wrote:
      > > > I created a program that is testing for potential primes at
      > > > 10^1,000,000,000+.
      > > > My test yesterday was from 10^1,000,000,000 to 10^1,000,000,000+1,000,000
      > > > it took 9 minutes and 5 seconds to run the test. I was able to eliminate
      > > > all but 9112 as being prime. That is using a small prime library
      > > of primes up
      > > > to 1,000,000 approx.
      > > > Just to make sure it is clear that is 10 to the 1 billion. Got a lot of
      > > > questions about that on another forum.
      > >
      > > From the speed, I can only assume you're running on a programmable
      > > calculator,
      >
      > He says that he is doing billion-digit primes.

      No, 'potential primes'. I can do that instantly by doing nothing.

      However, if I wanted to make use of a "small prime library of primes up to
      1,000,000 approx.", then I'd probably sieve the range with that the, and I'd
      take something more comparable to a second than ten minutes.

      There's less than one thousandth of a prime in that range, and certainly zero
      provable ones even if there's one probable-prime.

      Want to start your own business?
      Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business.
      http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/r-index