Re: [PrimeNumbers] Sieve Source Release?

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 19, 2006
      --- Bryan <beyastard@...> wrote:
      > Out of curiousity, I am wondering if the source to various sieving
      > programs will ever be released by their authors. I do not know how to
      > go about writing a sieve and studying the source would be very
      > helpful. Many of the sieving programs are quite old and even could be
      > updated.
      >
      > Some of them I am wondering about have been written by Jim Fougeron
      > and Phil Carmody such as FermFact (Jim) and ABC10 (Phil).

      Most of my sieves have been made public.

      > One
      > modification of ABC10 could be where on the form 10^a+/-b*10^c+/-1, a,
      > b and c are all variable such that the value of a =
      > 2c+number_of_digits_of_b-1 to sieve palindromes.

      I'm sure I've written something like that already.
      What do I use for my Tetradic primes? Hmmm...

      If I still have it, you can have a copy of it.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 19, 2006
        --- Phil Carmody <thefatphil@...> wrote:
        > --- Bryan <beyastard@...> wrote:
        > > Out of curiousity, I am wondering if the source to various sieving
        > > programs will ever be released by their authors. I do not know how to
        > > go about writing a sieve and studying the source would be very helpful.

        Hahahahahahha!

        I missed that the first time round. I don't think anyone's ever learnt
        anything from my source code. I suspect several may have been institutionalised
        because of it though. (Ouch, these buckles are scratching my back...)

        Anyway, I've found what appears to be a working linux/x86 binary.
        I can probably compile a cygwin version if you need one.

        I have no idea how to use it though. I can bundle the source, and if you can
        work out how to use it from looking at the source, all power to you!

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Mark Rodenkirch
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 19, 2006
          On Dec 19, 2006, at 4:39 PM, Phil Carmody wrote:

          > -- Phil Carmody <thefatphil@...> wrote:
          > > --- Bryan <beyastard@...> wrote:
          > > > Out of curiousity, I am wondering if the source to various sieving
          > > > programs will ever be released by their authors. I do not know
          > how to
          > > > go about writing a sieve and studying the source would be very
          > helpful.
          >
          > Hahahahahahha!
          >
          > I missed that the first time round. I don't think anyone's ever learnt
          > anything from my source code. I suspect several may have been
          > institutionalised
          > because of it though. (Ouch, these buckles are scratching my back...)

          Your code is obfuscated??? I guess I can add that to the list of why
          my hair is turning grey:

          1) Aging
          2) Stress
          3) Kids
          4) Phil Carmody's code

          Although I don't know where it fits on the list...

          Well, if anyone ever "disappears" from the list, then I guess we know
          where to start looking.

          --Mark