Sieve Source Release?

  • Bryan
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 19, 2006
      Out of curiousity, I am wondering if the source to various sieving
      programs will ever be released by their authors. I do not know how to
      go about writing a sieve and studying the source would be very
      helpful. Many of the sieving programs are quite old and even could be
      updated.

      Some of them I am wondering about have been written by Jim Fougeron
      and Phil Carmody such as FermFact (Jim) and ABC10 (Phil). One
      modification of ABC10 could be where on the form 10^a+/-b*10^c+/-1, a,
      b and c are all variable such that the value of a =
      2c+number_of_digits_of_b-1 to sieve palindromes. Other ideas for
      sieving programs I've had were to write something to sieve various
      other forms such as p(k)*p(b)+/-p(c) where all variables are >2, a
      prime where all the values are also prime (I tend to refer to these
      as "prime primes"). I have found quite a few of these the hard way
      with digits < 10000. Sieving would be so much more effective and take
      a great deal less time.
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 19, 2006
        --- Bryan <beyastard@...> wrote:
        > Out of curiousity, I am wondering if the source to various sieving
        > programs will ever be released by their authors. I do not know how to
        > go about writing a sieve and studying the source would be very
        > helpful. Many of the sieving programs are quite old and even could be
        > updated.
        >
        > Some of them I am wondering about have been written by Jim Fougeron
        > and Phil Carmody such as FermFact (Jim) and ABC10 (Phil).

        Most of my sieves have been made public.

        > One
        > modification of ABC10 could be where on the form 10^a+/-b*10^c+/-1, a,
        > b and c are all variable such that the value of a =
        > 2c+number_of_digits_of_b-1 to sieve palindromes.

        I'm sure I've written something like that already.
        What do I use for my Tetradic primes? Hmmm...

        If I still have it, you can have a copy of it.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 19, 2006
          --- Phil Carmody <thefatphil@...> wrote:
          > --- Bryan <beyastard@...> wrote:
          > > Out of curiousity, I am wondering if the source to various sieving
          > > programs will ever be released by their authors. I do not know how to
          > > go about writing a sieve and studying the source would be very helpful.

          Hahahahahahha!

          I missed that the first time round. I don't think anyone's ever learnt
          anything from my source code. I suspect several may have been institutionalised
          because of it though. (Ouch, these buckles are scratching my back...)

          Anyway, I've found what appears to be a working linux/x86 binary.
          I can probably compile a cygwin version if you need one.

          I have no idea how to use it though. I can bundle the source, and if you can
          work out how to use it from looking at the source, all power to you!

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Mark Rodenkirch
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 19, 2006
            On Dec 19, 2006, at 4:39 PM, Phil Carmody wrote:

            > -- Phil Carmody <thefatphil@...> wrote:
            > > --- Bryan <beyastard@...> wrote:
            > > > Out of curiousity, I am wondering if the source to various sieving
            > > > programs will ever be released by their authors. I do not know
            > how to
            > > > go about writing a sieve and studying the source would be very
            > helpful.
            >
            > Hahahahahahha!
            >
            > I missed that the first time round. I don't think anyone's ever learnt
            > anything from my source code. I suspect several may have been
            > institutionalised
            > because of it though. (Ouch, these buckles are scratching my back...)

            Your code is obfuscated??? I guess I can add that to the list of why
            my hair is turning grey:

            1) Aging
            2) Stress
            3) Kids
            4) Phil Carmody's code

            Although I don't know where it fits on the list...

            Well, if anyone ever "disappears" from the list, then I guess we know
            where to start looking.

            --Mark