Posting

  • Adam
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 13, 2006
      Argh! This is the only group that I belong to that has postings going
      to sender and not the group list. I would like to suggest that the
      default be set to "Post to the group" and not "Post to the sender."

      Hey Joshua Zucker would you please cut and paste what I sent you and
      send it back to the group?

      Adam
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 13, 2006
        --- Adam <a_math_guy@...> wrote:
        > Argh! This is the only group that I belong to that has postings going
        > to sender and not the group list. I would like to suggest that the
        > default be set to "Post to the group" and not "Post to the sender."

        Once you've read ``"Reply-To" Munging Considered Harmful''

        Then read ``"Reply-To" Munging Still Considered Harmful. Really.''
        http://woozle.org/~neale/papers/reply-to-still-harmful.html
        in particular this part:
        """
        In April of 2001, the IETF issued af new document, RFC 2822, which obsoletes
        RFC 822. In this new RFC, the author addresses the Reply-To header in a few
        places, but the most relevant to this discussion is the following in section
        3.6.2 “Originator fields”:

        When the “Reply-To:” field is present, it indicates the mailbox(es) to
        which the author of the message suggests that replies be sent.

        Your list software is not “the author of the message”, so it must not set or in
        any way meddle with the Reply-To header. That header exists for the author and
        the author alone. If your list munges it, you are violating the standard.

        These standards are not written flippantly, they are carefully crafted in such
        a way as to ensure everything on the Internet works as smoothly as possible. So
        do the Internet a favor and leave that header alone.
        """

        If you, as the author, want the reply to go to somewhere in particular, then
        _you_ set that header. If you were to specify your wish, and some mailing list
        then overwrote your header with its own view of where replies should go, then
        you _should_ be rightly annoyed. Because, of course, reply-to munging is
        harmful.

      • John
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 20, 2011
          If this post reaches the Board I will know I am able to post.

          Is it possible when replying to a post that you can reply only to the poster, and not the Forum.

          If so, how do Iensure I do not embarrass the poster and myself by making a mistake?

          Thank you.

          John.
        • John
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 20, 2011
            I rather hope that this message arrives at the forum.

            --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, "John" <mistermac39@...> wrote:

            > If this post reaches the Board I will know I am able to post.
            >
            > Is it possible when replying to a post that you can reply only to the poster, and not the Forum.
            >
            > If so, how do Iensure I do not embarrass the poster and myself by making a mistake?
            >
            > Thank you.
            >
            > John.

          • John
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 20, 2011
              I clearly have found the correct way. Thankyou for your help.