Re: Re: [PrimeNumbers] optimal parameters for GMP-ECM , -oe+ , -I

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 5, 2006
      Oi! Stop classifying my gibberings as questionable spam!

      --- Paul Leyland <paul@...> wrote:
      > > I personally advise against using tee.

      > Fair enough. tee(1) tends to work for me just fine but YMMV.

      If every chunk of output is accompanied with fflush(stdout) or fflush(NULL),
      then YMWBPG. I definitely used to swear by tee - it's those annoying cases that
      sting one one time in 20 that make one stop relying on it.

      > Beware, though, that on Windows machines it's frequently the case that
      > you can't "tail -f" a file that something else has open for writing.

      Latest cygwin and WinXP works for me. Linux, works for me. The tail that comes
      packaged with horrible abomination that spookily begins 'BS' refuses to -f
      multiple files, so I deride it harshly whenever I can.

      My biggest piece of advice for text terminal hackery is to use ``screen''.
      Start a test in a terminal on a home machine, pick it up from a terminal at
      work, detach, pick it back up again from a different terminal back home again.

      And if you forgot to run screen and started something running from a console,
      then the other favourite hack, in most linuxes, is to ``cat /dev/vcs0'' to see
      what's going on there.

      http://new.mail.yahoo.com