Re: [PrimeNumbers] optimal parameters for GMP-ECM , -oe+ , -I

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 4, 2006
      --- Paul Leyland <paul@...> wrote:
      > On Sun, 2006-12-03 at 19:34, Walter Nissen wrote:
      > > Hi , all ,
      > >
      > > Within the past several years , the option -oe+ , which broadcasts its
      > > "stdout" to stdout and a file , has apparently disappeared
      > > ( can something apparently disappear ?? ) from GMP-ECM .
      > > Is there a replacement or work-around for Windows ? For Linux ?
      >
      > On a Unix-like machine, try running the command "man tee".
      >
      > Windows boxes can be made to look Unix-like by any of several methods.
      > Using Cygwin is the most common.

      I personally advise against using tee. Better is to simply redirect output to a
      file ( ``> filename'' or '>> filename' to append), maybe stick that process in
      the background, and then use ``tail -f'' on that file. Basically this is so
      that the (crunching and) logging and browsing are completely different
      operations, and therefore one (the browsing) can be stopped independently of
      the other. On many platforms, tee also tends to be somewhat annoying when the
      applications don't flush stdout regularly. You'll get nothing for a while, and
      then several pages appear.

      http://new.mail.yahoo.com
    • Paul Leyland
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 4, 2006
        On Mon, 2006-12-04 at 12:41, Phil Carmody wrote:
        > --- Paul Leyland <paul@...> wrote:

        > > On a Unix-like machine, try running the command "man tee".
        > >
        > > Windows boxes can be made to look Unix-like by any of several
        > methods.
        > > Using Cygwin is the most common.
        >
        > I personally advise against using tee. Better is to simply redirect
        > output to a
        > file ( ``> filename'' or '>> filename' to append), maybe stick that
        > process in
        > the background, and then use ``tail -f'' on that file. Basically this
        > is so
        > that the (crunching and) logging and browsing are completely different
        > operations, and therefore one (the browsing) can be stopped
        > independently of
        > the other. On many platforms, tee also tends to be somewhat annoying
        > when the
        > applications don't flush stdout regularly. You'll get nothing for a
        > while, and
        > then several pages appear.

        Fair enough. tee(1) tends to work for me just fine but YMMV.

        Beware, though, that on Windows machines it's frequently the case that
        you can't "tail -f" a file that something else has open for writing.
        Don't ask me to justify this behaviour, as I can't, but I've seen it
        happen many times (and to my annoyance). Sometimes a work-around of
        copying the partially written file to another name and reading that one
        works.

        Paul

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 5, 2006
          Oi! Stop classifying my gibberings as questionable spam!

          --- Paul Leyland <paul@...> wrote:
          > > I personally advise against using tee.

          > Fair enough. tee(1) tends to work for me just fine but YMMV.

          If every chunk of output is accompanied with fflush(stdout) or fflush(NULL),
          then YMWBPG. I definitely used to swear by tee - it's those annoying cases that
          sting one one time in 20 that make one stop relying on it.

          > Beware, though, that on Windows machines it's frequently the case that
          > you can't "tail -f" a file that something else has open for writing.

          Latest cygwin and WinXP works for me. Linux, works for me. The tail that comes
          packaged with horrible abomination that spookily begins 'BS' refuses to -f
          multiple files, so I deride it harshly whenever I can.

          My biggest piece of advice for text terminal hackery is to use ``screen''.
          Start a test in a terminal on a home machine, pick it up from a terminal at
          work, detach, pick it back up again from a different terminal back home again.

          And if you forgot to run screen and started something running from a console,
          then the other favourite hack, in most linuxes, is to ``cat /dev/vcs0'' to see
          what's going on there.

          http://new.mail.yahoo.com