Re: [PrimeNumbers] A prime rich sequence???

  • Joshua Zucker
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 30, 2006
      I don't think these are particularly good prime-generating polynomials
      you've found. Perhaps they are quite good given the smallness of the
      coefficients, though! Most of the examples below have much larger
      coefficients than just 0 and 1.

      For some really excellent ones, take a look at
      http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Prime-GeneratingPolynomial.html
      http://www.maa.org/editorial/mathgames/mathgames_07_17_06.html
      or toward the bottom of
      http://euler.free.fr/contest/PGPReport.htm
      where they give polynomials both with integer and rational coefficients,
      and which give lots of consecutive primes,
      or which give a relatively high proportion of primes in some range
      like x = 0 to 1000 ...

      --Joshua Zucker