biggest skunk

  • Walter Nissen
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 14, 2006
      Hi , all ,

      What is the largest number ever located by a prime hunter which passed a
      pseudo-primality test , but ultimately proved composite ?

      Cheers ,

      Walter

      ---

      The Bill of Rights is the most valuable possession of every human being,
      even those who do not yet enjoy its rich benefits, because the light it
      beams into the world will eventually free all our sons and daughters.
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 14, 2006
        --- Walter Nissen <wnissen@...> wrote:
        > What is the largest number ever located by a prime hunter which passed a
        > pseudo-primality test , but ultimately proved composite ?

        Christ begat one of over 100000 digits as part of the PIES project.

        The form was Phi(3*2^n,b), with b=2^s*3^t, and the PRP test was base 2 -
        which is asking for such situations to occur. However, that form can
        yield real primes, so it had to be tested. (After deep sieving of course).

        Cyclotomic forms are, by construction, notorious for their density in
        Fermat pseudoprimes.

        Sponsored Link

        Online degrees - find the right program to advance your career.
        Www.nextag.com