Re: New strong pseudo-carmody prime found!

  • thefatphil
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 9, 2006
      --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, Phil Carmody <thefatphil@...> wrote:
      > prime generation library when compiled on a PowerPC architecture.

      The library in question was DJB's primegen, and the issue was that gcc
      on the Power architecture seems to like having _unsigned_ chars by
      default (unlike all other integer types, which, if not explicitly
      marked 'unsigned' will be signed). This messes with a couple of the
      tables of constants. The solution is either to force the compiler to
      used signed chars by default, or to explicitly change the structures
      such that the members are explicitly signed. Dan actually fixed this
      within a day of me reporting the bug to him, but I forgot to report
      back here. His webpage has been updated to document this gcc-gotcha.