Book recommendation

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 20, 2006
      I know this is good - as I actually understood much of it!

      /Elementary Number Theory/ - Uspensky and Heaslet. McGraw-Hill 1939

      1) Elementary Properties of Integers
      2) Divisibility and Related Topics
      3) Euclid's Algorithm. Diophantine Equations of the First Degree
      4) On Prime Numbers
      5) A General Combinatorial Theorem and its Applications
      6) On the Congruence of Numbers
      7) Congruences with One Unknown. Lagrange's Theorem and its Applications
      8) Residues of Powers
      9) Arithmetical Properties or Bernoullian Numbers
      10) Quadratic Residues
      11) Some Problems Connected with Quadratic Forms
      12) Some Diophantine Problems
      13) Louisville's Methods

      This book is perfect for those who are numerate, and who desire a good
      understanding of the fundamentals of what one might call "day to day"
      number theory - the kinds of matters that raise themselves on this list
      occasionally. It may be old, but that matters not, the pre-20th-century
      French mathematicians basically stitched the whole subject up like a
      kipper. (OK, a few Germans helped out too.) So if you ever see this book
      gathering dust anywhere - buy it!

      If you already have H&Ws, Shallits, Roses, Cohens, or C&Ps, and fully
      understand them, then this will aim too low for you, but if you don't know
      which books those brief words refer to then this is the book for you.

      http://mail.yahoo.com