Updated integer hashing algorithm

  • Roahn Wynar
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 16, 2006
      For those of you that are still interested:

      I know it has been a while, but I have updated the Integer-to-Image applet at https://home.comcast.net/~rwynar/.

      I have implemented the Pollard P-1 algorithm (with the native Java BigInteger primality testing method) for the factoring, so now you can throw in some whopping numbers. I guess the only limit is BigInteger arithmetic. Works like a charm on over ten digit numbers, but I didn't test much after that, the screen resolution is a problem. It is pretty fun now, actually.

      Also, I have adjusted the graphics some. Chris did a wonderful demo with colors only, but for now, I decided to keep the borders, but I have adjusted things so the borders are nice and even.

      My next update will be to give the user some control over the colors/patterns and to enumerate classes of integers that have images related by what I call "sharp/flat" exchange, and I will smooth out my written description of the whole thing.

      Sadly, Phil will still not be able to play with it because I am stubbornly sticking with what I know,....Java. :(. But thank you Phil for suggesting P-1, that was a big help.

      All the best,
      Roahn