Re: [PrimeNumbers] Hashing the positive integers into graphic art.

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 4, 2006
      --- Roahn Wynar <rwynar@...> wrote:
      > For those who are interested, you can now experiment with the Whole Number
      > Hash Applet at https://home.comcast.net/~rwynar/.

      Oh dear, you seem to have fallen for the "write once, run anywhere"
      bu^Wmarketting message that Sun was so proud of. Alas, it don't work here, and
      yes, before you ask, my VM came from Sun. (It's alive, it *_VERY_ANNOYINGLY_*
      pulls the window to the top of the window-manager's z-stack when my mouse even
      glides past the applet, it just doesn't do anything.)

      > You can input some pretty
      > big numbers since the Applet uses BigInteger arithmetic, but be careful, for
      > now the factorization method is pretty lame and if you put in primes over
      > about 7 digits things can take a while. That is pretty embarrassing,
      > considering this list's distinctiveness regarding factoring. I promise to
      > fix this in V1.1 :).

      P-1 and Rho are really simple. I recommend just throwing in a quick
      implementation of one or the other. If there's a built-in modular expmod for
      bignums, then probably P-1 will be most efficient. Otherwise, you really can't
      get simpler than a Rho, implementation-wise. (And do the Brent version, as it
      has handy stopping points for factor checking.)

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Chris Caldwell
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 4, 2006
        > Chris - I would enjoy seeing how your script outputs looked.
        > Is there anyway to send a sample on to me? In my algorithm
        > the borders of the atoms get demagnified with the atoms which
        > gives a slightly uneven appearance (that is...the borders at
        > each recursive level are not all consistent.) However this
        > effect is useful for tracking the recursion depth by eye, so
        > I have not bothered to work that issue out. I am wondering
        > if your script naturally handles this.

        I'd wondered if you did that on purpose. Go to

        http://www.utm.edu/staff/caldwell/preprints/temp/

        1to30 is just that, 1, 2, 3, ...

        Then the flat primes p, pq, pqr, ... to 307

        Then the same for the sharp.

        Made by quick and sloppy Maple, exported, made smaller
        with fireworks...

        Hope I did these right, didn't check very carefully...
        CC